10 Things Every College Professor HatesIssue 12-04-17 |
In the article, "10 things every college professor hates (Business Insider, Nov. 8, 2017)," Lisa Wade, Ph.D., a professor at Occidental College, outlines some pet peeves and advice for students about how to get along with professors:
1. Don't use unprofessional correspondence.
2. Don't ask the professor if you "missed anything important" during an absence.
3. Don't pack up your things as the class is ending.
4. Don't ask a question about the readings or assignments until checking the syllabus first.
5. Don't get mad if you receive critical feedback.
6. Don't grade grub.
7. Don't futz with paper formatting.
8. Don't pad your introductions and conclusions with fluff.
9. Don't misrepresent facts as opinions and opinions as facts.
10. Don't be too cool for school.
Her observations are taken from conversations with her network of colleagues, which merits equal consideration in the work world. Wade notes in the article that No. 2 on the list is by far the most common complaint.